We never had roast potatoes for Christmas dinner as it is always so warm the last thing you feel like is a pile of hot food on Christmas day, however here in chilly England roast potatoes are a must. Last year I made them for the first time. I had never been a roast potato fan but then I found this recipe
crunchiest roast potatoes
before you begin you must source some goose fat,its the only way. You have never tasted anything like it. If you live with a vegetarian, bang your head repeatedly on a hard surface and curse the day he turned veggie. then tell him you will boil him some potatoes if he wishes.
this serves 6
preheat you oven to 200 degrees
choose some nice floury potatoes like king Edward , but my new favorite are rooster potatoes with the red skin. they are divine . you will need about 1.5 kgs
cut them lengthways into quarters like oversize chips then you will have the most crunchy surface.
place the potatoes in cold water thats been salted and bring to the boil then simmer for 5 min and drain well. make sure the potatoes are quite dry and kind of floury.
then take 200ml of goose fat and heat in the oven in a large roasting tin. when fat is hot carefully add the potatoes and turn them in the fat to coat them. sprinkle with sea salt ( the course stuff people , or maldon salt if the credit crunch has not bitten) and roast for 1 hour 25 min until crispy and golden
you need to turn them every half hour or so
drain off your fat and serve .
they truly are simple and lovely
3 comments:
Despite the heat we have always done a traditional Christmas lunch - Turkey, Stuffing, Roast potatoes etc.My mom always makes good Roast potatoes and apart from when I was pregnant with Amy, I have always enjoyed them. I think the secret is in how long you roast them for. I take pity on the veggie in your house and say, shame man just make him some without the goose fat, they will taste just as good! ps: For a little colour, I add Tumeric to them.
well Ok I will make his with olive oil. But I tell you you cant beat the goose fat they go all golden and crunchy. Hey watch out for my parsnip gratin recipe. parsnips are another fav of mine and this one is entirely veggie:)
I just love roast potatoes .... how in the hell do you spell that. I have had a little too much wine tonight as it was the perfect night for a braai and I felt very holidayish if you know what I mean. So a lovely Gin and Tonic and then some delicious red wine. Have had no time to blog and read blogs so will catch up with everyone's news this week. Love Mum xxxx
Post a Comment