Thursday, April 07, 2011

why is it...

that there is this air of competition between south african people about where is better to live. within country or out ( england)

No one misses Cape Town more than me. I have had some low , low moments over the past 7 years. Perhaps those low moments have wizened me to reality.

Fact is many of us live around the world and come back holidaying. perhaps we will return one day . But please , Please don't tell me how shit England is. Don't tell me the weathers awful ( I Know) Don't use your guilt and ignorance to make me feel awful.

Fact is it isn't all bad. Don't believe everything you read just like you wish all those would be tourists wouldn't believe everything they read about our country.

hearwith ends my rant. Its just I live here and I am offended and hurt when people are so incredulous with my choice. Perhaps choices are limited.... #justsaying

5 comments:

cupcake said...

well said wends, i totally agree with you , and although i don't have the home sickness you do ( partly having my mum here with me ) but every country has its good things, and bad. Europe has given more more opportunity then i could have had in SA, and im extremely happy in Europe, so happy , that 3 weeks in CT and i want to come "home" , its the best of 2 worlds really.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

I, for one, cannot wait to get to England - and it's soft, gentle weather.
Cheer up, missing family and friend is dreadful, but remember, you have your own little family right there :)

Fiona said...

Elenore said something to me once that struck a chord..."as much as we miss our children, one good thing is that it makes them so much more patriotic to SA when they live overseas". And that is the truth of it. Every country has good (1st) and bad (2nd)! You just enjoy the good darling. xxx

caroline Avnit said...

Every place in the world has its good and bad points, there is no utopia and if you have lived in more than one country you are aware of that. I think it really just comes down to the priorities of the people concerned. Sometimes though where we find ourselves, isn't always our first choice and with some people they need to make others feel bad in order to make themselves feel better. boo to them.
make the most of where you are and be happy :)

Plummy Mummy said...

It's sad when you feel homesick as your heart will always have a place for your place of birth/where your family are. I hope that if you want, you get back there one day.
One thing though - travel and living in new communities/countries makes you a richer person as it opens your horizons and mind to the way people live all over the world. I found that my friends/family who only ever lived within a very short distance from where they were born were not as "rich". And from what little I know of you, I'm glad that you live in England even if it's not your first choice.