Tuesday, January 26, 2010

humous

Humous has to be one of my very favorite foods. Its so yummy and filling as well as being very good for you. If you have children I think you cant go wrong getting them to like it . its such an easy lunch to prepare.

Because we were eating so much of the stuff in our vegetarian household I decided I was going to make it. I am sure most of you know how but I will give you my recipe anyhow.
serve as a dip with grilled pita breads or crackers ( I am partial to a pumpkin seed ryvita)
put into a sandwich as a delicious filling with salads or even just eat it just like that..like I do on occasion on a piece of celery. Its addictive

This is the method I use for 1 tin of chickpeas but I usually do 2 tins due to my greedy nature.

1 tin of chickpeas chucked into a food processor with a peeled piece of garlic. whizz up a bit before adding 2 tablespoons of tahini (sesame seed paste) a tablespoon or 2 of the chickpea brine and juice of 2 lemons.
continue whizzing adding a drizzle of olive oil continually with some rock salt and pepper (to taste- note it does need the salt and pepper I think) when its blended and a good consistency (about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil I think) you can decant into a tupperware container and have a ready snack or lunch.
enjoy!

7 comments:

Louise said...

I love humous and your recipe sounds excellent

Pinky's Pages said...

Yum!

Loving the new profile pic!

Hugs, xx

Fiona said...

I love it too. Have never made it though so will give it a wizz. Love Mum xx

Cheeky Monkey's Mum said...

Love the new pic on your blog. Never made humous. Maybe will try soon.

purpleronnie said...

Bleh...

Wendy said...

Oh Veronica . embrace the chickpea! LOL

Pink Granite said...

Your recipe looks very much like mine - Yum!
I often will use some cooked garlic if I want a slightly more mellow flavor.

Have you ever made baba ganoush? The smoky eggplant taste is scrumptious.
Thanks!
;o)
- Lee