Friday, December 12, 2008

the credit crunch

theres been much talking and lamenting here, and worldwide, about the credit crunch and impending ( already here? ) recession. I have watched as business's struggle and people fear being retrenched but until today it never really affected me. We don't own a home so interest rates don't affect me. I have no debt. and I don't work for an investment bank. I know its all much more complex than this so don't write in.

Anyhow as many of you may know I love shopping and I love beautiful things. Since I lived in England 11 years ago I have loved a shop called the pier. It is a home decor and gift shop with most of its products from India , Indonesia and the like. We just purchased our tv unit from there and I have several beautiful favorite things from there.

last week the Pier went into administration. Kristian and I went there today to spend our gift voucher before it closed. Bromley is one of the last ones open and it was the saddest thing to go in there and see it empty and untidy with boxes everywhere. Everything 50% off. People were like vultures looking for a bargain but I really did not want to buy anything like that. Eventually I found a box with a beautiful item I have loved in there for a while. I purchased my last item from the pier.

4 comments:

Fiona said...

Oh yes it is all very sad indeed. I loved the Pier too and was looking forward to going there again in the not too distant future. Do you remember all our beautiful department stores here in Cape Town, Stuttafords, Garlicks....long gone and Stuttafords is a mere shadow of itself, all very disappointing. Hopefully the "Pier" with reappear is some other shape for form. Mum xxx

Fiona said...

Oh yes it is all very sad indeed. I loved the Pier too and was looking forward to going there again in the not too distant future. Do you remember all our beautiful department stores here in Cape Town, Stuttafords, Garlicks....long gone and Stuttafords is a mere shadow of itself, all very disappointing. Hopefully the "Pier" with reappear is some other shape for form. Mum xxx

Mari said...

Shame man. I love that shop. We have Pier 1 here which is pretty much the same, so I hope that sticks around. Linens and things closed down here, and some Gap stores are closing, plus GM motors has just about gone bust, not good. It is very sad, I feel bad for people losing their jobs and things and hope this all gets sorted out soon :(

cupcake said...

Hi Wends ,
here is the recipe below,
the icing i made from scratch, with icing sugar and water, and then colours, i used yellow and blue for the green, and mixed then into these new piping bags that use you buy that are just plastic clear bags that you throw away after, very handy!

CHRISTMAS SUGAR COOKIES

2 1/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. shortening
1 teaspoon nutmeg (sift in with flour)
1 c. sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tbsp. milk

Sift flour, salt, nutmeg and baking powder together. Cream shortening and sugar together. Add eggs and vanilla, then add sifted ingredients and milk. Roll out on floured board and cut out with Christmas cookie cutters.

Decorate with colored sugars. If you are going to frost the cookies bake them before you decorate. Bake on baking sheet at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until brown around the edges.

Makes 36 cookies.